‘Refreshed and renewed’, ‘Helped me refocus my Christian life’, ‘Taught me to live a simple, loving, caring Christian life’, ”Enabled me to expand and gain more knowledge’, ‘Made some amazing friends’,’A great boost and encouragement’, ‘A good retreat to revive my personal spirituality and service in ministry’, ‘A wonderful space to pray and reflect’.
These are just some of the testimonies from Summer School participants in recent years.
As well as the dynamic teaching, participants share in social times, meals, devotions, evening worship and reflection. Off site, there are opportunities to visit the national attraction Chatsworth House, just around the corner, go into Bakewell, just 7 miles away, whilst Curbar and Froggatt Edge are just a short walk away for those wanting to put on their boots.
You might be contemplating a full or part-time course here at Cliff – maybe this is a way to get to know the college and gear up for study? You might be a group leader and want further biblical and theological knowledge. Maybe you are studying as a Methodist Local Preacher, or want a refresher course for your worship and preaching? Are you a church member, and want to better read, study and understand the Bible story? You might even just want to come on a study retreat to beautiful Derbyshire to reflect on your understanding of God. If any of this sounds like you, then why not join us here at Cliff on our popular Summer School programme? Open to all aged 17 years +. Whilst all streams are open to anyone who wishes to book, please be aware that the Worship stream is particularly focussed on those taking the Methodist Worship: Leading and Preaching course.
In 2017 we are offering six streams of teaching to choose from, with a mixture of ‘overview’ and ‘deeper’ themes, covering the themes of Theology, Mission, Discipleship, Bible, Spirituality, and Worship.
June Summer School (19th-23rd June)
- Theology stream – ‘Introduction to Theology’. Led by Dr Ben Pugh, this exciting stream starts by asking ‘What is Theology?’, then offers an overview of the major theological themes, and is an excellent study course which got rave reviews in 2016!
- Mission stream – ‘Vocation and Mission: new forms of chaplaincy’. Led by Matthew Reed and team, this popular course explores what chaplaincy can offer in terms of the mission of the Church, explores the calling of the chaplain and new models of chaplaincy and reflects on the art of listening.
- Discipleship stream – ‘Discipleship – Different Perspectives on Following Jesus’. Led by Tony Moodie, Tim Woolley & Edel McClean, the course will explore what it means to follow Jesus through the lens of some key figures past and present. Bringing in different perspectives and understandings you will be challenged to follow in a deeper and fresher way.
August Summer School (31st July – 4th August)
- Bible stream – ‘Encounters with the Word’. Led by Dr Kirsi Cobb and Dr Ed Mackenzie, this ever popular stream offers an overview of the Bible, exploring Old and New Testament writing, how we read the Bible through genre, theme and text, and what it means to handle the Bible historically and contextually. A real must!
- Spirituality stream – ‘In His footsteps – a Guided retreat’. Led by Deacon Lynne Tonge, the Cliff College chaplain, this brand new stream will allow participants to explore their relationship with God through scripture, prayer, silence, self and community. There will be times together and times apart all facilitated by Lynne and her team.
- Worship streams – ‘Worship: Leading and Preaching’. Led by a team from the Discipleship & Ministries Learning Network of the Methodist Church, there will be two streams covering Modules 1 & 2 and Modules 3 & 4 respectively of the Methodist training course for Worship Leaders and Preachers. After the success of last year’s Summer School, these will provide an opportunity within the community of the Summer School to share the “Explore” sections of these modules with others from around the Methodist Connexion. Whilst tailored specifically for those currently training as Worship Leaders and Preachers in the Methodist Church, these streams would be of value to anyone already serving as a preacher or leader of worship or exploring a call to be involved in the worship life of the people of God.
The teaching streams will be delivered by Cliff College Faculty, specialist adjunct guests and Methodist Discipleship and Ministries Learning Network staff, all drawn together by Ian White, the Summer School Co-ordinator.
Costs will be £190.00 for all teaching & materials and refreshments, £270.00 for all teaching & materials, meals and refreshments, and £380.00 for all teaching & materials, meals, refreshments and accommodation in single study en-suite accommodation. There is a slight reduction for couples sharing a double room. Students already signed onto one of our validated courses are entitled to a subsidy on the teaching aspect of the overall cost.
A non refundable deposit of £50 secures your place. The balance of fees should be paid on arrival.
Contact the Summer School Administrator, Veronica Evans for more details: firstname.lastname@example.org / 01246 584200.
Why not enquire, or even sign up now?!